Total Pageviews

Sunday, May 20, 2012

Happy Birthday

Happy 43rd Birthday to me.  Jack and I got another bug last week so we haven't felt great but tonight we had a lovely dinner with Jack's Nanni and my aunt and uncle.  

Here's a picture of my beautiful flowers.

May 19, 2012: Mommy and Jack


I think my immune system is still down because I seem to be getting sick quite frequently and it's driving me crazy.  Just when I get back to the gym and try strength training, I get another cold or sore throat or whatever is going around.  So, I lie low and start over again when I can.  Some good news is, I think I'm getting some feeling back in my abdominal area, especially around my "new" belly button.  Deep inside I can feel the scar tissue, which are almond size bits and pieces.  I may try acupuncture again or some other therapies to try and smooth it out.  Any quick or swift move still takes my breath away but I am able to carry Jack once again if he wants me to hold him and I have so missed this.

I had decided to take a hiatus from doctor appointments and now we are already mid-May and I have to get back into it.  I meet with my gynecologist next week to get a plan in action.  I also have to schedule my next EUS (Esophageal ultrasound) to check my pancreas.  Happy to report another colonoscopy isn't necessary until next year.  My breast surgeon gave me an 8 week break until the last part of my reconstruction which is the tattoos and it's time, but I'm not in any hurry for this right now.  

I'm 8 months from my first surgery and 3 months from my second.  My body continues to change.  I'm not sure sure how to feel since body image isn't one of my strong suits.  I dress in my old clothes that now hang on me.  I feel rather homely.  Mom called me 'Poor Pitiful Pearl' and gave me some shopping money to go buy some new clothes and stop bitching about it.  I swear I don't even know where to start.  I did finally get two new bras, yeah me!  That was uncomfortable getting measured and all, but it had to be done.  I'm still just so uncomfortable with how I feel and how I look.  It's a process.  I will not let this get me down but nobody can rush me into any of this.  I just have to go at my own pace.  Taurus; we hate change!

So this is my update.....I can't believe we have almost 4000 hits here.  I've met a few more women via twitter that are in my same shoes.  I hope we can continue to support one another and educate each other about this #BRCA2 gene.  When people say that BRCA patients choose to have these surgeries, I ask you, is it really elective surgery if cancer is the alternative?  Surgery is the only cancer prevention we have.  I wish more people could understand this and not be offended by words like, "previvor."  I am a changed woman; we all are.  Bless all my BRCA sisters out there.

Sincerely,  Janeen






    

2 comments:

Mom said...

Looking at you and Jack brings tears to my eyes. You are the cutest duo and you both look so good and yes, so happy.

All of us had a great time at your birthday celebration. Great company, wonderful dinner and loads of laughs. " I'm so drunk"!
We must keep an eye on Suzi next time we all go out.

We created more memories :) Mom

Kim said...

This is my favorite picture of you and Jack! So cute.